Xylitol & Your Dog!

   

Xylitol & Your Dog!

Stay In The Loop

Unsubscribe anytime or contact us for details.

Vancouver
Restaurant Guide

Xylitol is incredible dangerous and toxic for dogs!

Many people know there are things that are incredibly toxic for dogs, but one ingredient that s becoming more and more common in foods and candy that people don’t realize is incredibly toxic to dogs is Xylitol. This naturally occurring substance is often used as a sugar substitute and can be incredibly toxic for dogs.  

As a chemical it is a sugar alcohol but it can ale be found naturally in:

  • Oats
  • Corn
  • Berries
  • Plums
  • lettuce
  • mushrooms
  • Trees

Xylitol has become increasingly popular the past few years especially in many sugar free products as it is a calorie free substitute for sugar.

Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs. The higher the dose ingested, the greater the risk of liver failure complications.

In humans this substance does not stimulate the release of insulin from the pancreas but is definitely does in dogs which  can lead to hypoglycemia or worse.  The most commonly ingested substance leading to poisoning in dogs is sugar free gum.  A small amount of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia, seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs. The higher the dose ingested, the greater the risk of liver failure complications.

Here is what to do if your dog ingests Xylitol:

Call Pet Poison Control

Get to your Vet or animal hospital ASAP

try to determine how much they consumed.

If your dog has consumed Xylitol  and is treated right away the The prognosis is good if they are treated before symptoms develop or for dogs who develop mild hypoglycemia that is reversed rapidly. If liver failure or a bleeding disorder develops, this generally does not end well..

It is important to be aware of EVERYTHING your dog consumes. It is also important to note that some peanut butter now contains Xylitol.

We love your dog so please be very careful and know what to do if your dog ingests Xylitol. If you’re not sure better to play it safe and go to the vet!

Comments

mood_bad
  • No comments yet.
  • chat
    Add a comment